Parent Information Pages
So now you are invested, you need to contribute to the running costs of Scouting on Hayling.
Lets start with a couple of facts that are sometimes missed or forgotten:
- No person involved with the Hayling Scouts gets paid for what they do - we are all volunteers.
- We do not receive any financial help from national or local government and all we have and need we have to fund ourselves.
Our annual turnover, excluding Camps is over £25,000 and we cover this cost through a combination of Subscriptions, fund raising and donations. Our objective is always to keep our Subs as low as possible whilst ensuring that we are able to provide the leaders with the facilities and equipment to offer exciting Scouting.
How Much are Subs?
Our subs are currently £108 per year. See below for payment options. This is effectively just £2.50 per week, a cost which compares very favourably with other activities that young people often get involved with. The level of subs is reviewed each November and any changes are implemented in the following April.
The last increase was in 2018 after a period of 6 years
What are Subscriptions For
The subscriptions contribute to 5 main components of cost:-
- Headquarters Membership fee that provides the insurance cover for you, resources and information for your leaders and also part costs of national campsites and activity centres.
- Section running costs which is returned to the leaders to purchase consumables or fund section activities or events (for example the food for cooking evenings or visits)
- Books and badges used and gained by our members
- Leader training and specialist skills. For example First Aid, Child Protection, archery & shooting instructors, pool lifeguards etc.
- A contribution to HQ running costs.
Every 2 years we produce a detailed analysis of the Subscriptions.
How do I Pay my Subs
The majority of Parents now pay subs by Standing Order with the following advantages:-
- For you it means that you do not have to remember the payment each term
- For our Leaders, it means one less thing to worry about at the beginning of each term
- and for our treasurer, subs coordinator and Gift Aid secretary it makes life so much easier!
We are therefore encouraging as many of you as possible to pay subs by standing order. Payments are made each month of the year at a rate of £9.00 per month. The following information letter and Forms apply.
For any of you who can not pay by Standing Order, subs can still be paid by cheque or cash at £36 per term to be paid at the beginning of each term.
Please Do not forget Gift Aid
By signing a Gift Aid declaration we are able to recover the basic rate tax paid on subs (that means currently over £25 for the £108 subs per year) from the inland revenue. We do not require any personal or financial information from you nor do you have to take any action, other than to sign the Gift Aid form. The only criteria is that the person paying the subscription is a Tax Payer.
Gift Aid represents a significant income for the Group and helps us to keep our Subs down to one of the lowest in Hampshire.
For more information and a form:-